Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Classification: Essential: This position is an Essential classification and will require employee to report to duty after a hurricane or emergency.
Schedule: This position normally works a regular weekday daytime shift and requires scheduled/unscheduled overtime, including evenings, weekends and holidays and/or immediate response to emergency conditions.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Supervisor
General Purpose of the Position: Under general supervision, perform general and some specialized fleet repair. Auto Mechanic A supplies own hand tools (enough to complete most tasks).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect and performs a variety of vehicle preventative maintenance duties; cleans, greases, and fuels equipment, and identifies and/or performs basic service and repair work.
- Complete all repair assignments for City fleet (light, medium and heavy duty vehicles) in a timely manner, including brakes (air & hydraulics), air conditioning recovery and recycling, hydraulics, front-end, and other related tasks.
- Perform complex and specialized vehicle diagnostics.
- Perform road calls.
- Perform intermediate to advanced welding tasks.
- Supports and actively promotes the City’s safety programs. Follows standard operating procedures, observes safety practices and reports or corrects potential safety hazards.
- Perform duties as assigned through work orders.
- Keep basic records.
- Mentor Auto Mechanics B and Apprentice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of safe work techniques and practices used in auto service industry.
- Ability to make independent judgments and decisions.
- Knowledge of materials and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of all fleet vehicles.
- Maintain knowledge of the latest auto service technology (some travel maybe involved).
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees and the public.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Knowledge of job-related software as required by Department.
- Ability to work in close, confined spaces, walk, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear, reach above shoulders, work overhead on ladders and platforms, use fingers and hands with dexterity, and feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift up to 80 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
Education and Experience Required: ASE certification in brakes (air & hydraulics), A/C recovery and recycling, electrical system; intermediate welding skills; certified in gas and diesel-powered vehicles and equipment. A good driving record, a valid Florida driver’s license, a Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) with air brakes endorsement and a high school diploma or GED equivalent. A minimum of five (5) years of experience as an Auto Mechanic B or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required.
Environmental Conditions: Work is primarily performed in open bays in varying and extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time where employees are exposed to excessively loud noises from equipment, exposure to heavy equipment, fuel, oil, hazardous gases, fumes, paint and chemicals. Physical effort is required to perform heavy manual labor in confined and cramped spaces and uncomfortable conditions, climb ladders, bend, reach, and stand for long periods of time. Occasional exposure to slippery and/or uneven surfaces; heights above twenty (20) feet; below ground level, with feet, legs and/or hands in water. Occasional exposure to confined spaces. Subject to 24-hour call back for emergency conditions. Appropriate training and safety equipment will be provided for all conditions.
Commercial Driver License (CDL): A Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) with air brakes endorsement is required for this position.