Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Classification: Essential: This position is an Essential classification and will require you to report to duty after a hurricane or emergency.
Schedule: This position normally works a regular weekday daytime shift and requires scheduled/unscheduled overtime, including evenings, weekends and holidays and/or immediate response to emergency conditions.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Crew Chief, Supervisor or Superintendent
General Purpose of the Position: Skilled work at the experienced worker level involving general maintenance practices, such as rough and finished carpentry, masonry, plumbing, electrical, painting, roof repair, furniture repair, HVAC, window repair, door locks, etc. Technical direction may be exercised over one or more semi-skilled workers. Work is performed under general supervision and is subject to inspection for workmanship and appearance during progress and upon completion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs specialized carpentry work in the alteration, repair and maintenance of buildings, floors, roofs, stairways, partitions, decks, balconies, doors, windows, screens and furniture.
- Performs specialized maintenance practices, such as masonry, plumbing, electrical, painting, HVAC, door locks, fence and gate installation and repair, etc.
- Operates and maintains various tools and equipment including power and hand tools; performs preventive maintenance and light repairs on equipment.
- Takes appropriate measure to assure the safe operation of tools and equipment.
- Erects scaffolding as required.
- Keeps time and materials records.
- Ability to use cleaning materials and equipment.
- Perform custodial duties as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of carpentry and building maintenance.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards associated with various trades’ work and the pertinent safety precautions.
- Ability to operate various hand tools and repair equipment, such as, wrenches, pipe fitting tools, power drill, grinder, band saw, saws, and air-compressors.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment, such as, computers, printers, copy machines, telephone systems, and fax machines.
- Ability to instruct skilled and semi-skilled workers in a variety of maintenance activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with departments, associates, and the general public.
- Ability to make basic independent judgments and decisions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to solve practical problems and find solutions when only limited information exists.
- Ability to work in close, confined spaces, walk, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear, reach above shoulders, work overhead on ladders and platforms, use fingers and hands with dexterity, and feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift up to 80 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
Education and Experience Required: High school diploma or GED equivalent, a good driving record and valid Florida driver’s license. Minimum four (4) years as a Facilities Maintenance Worker B with no performance related issues, or equivalent experience. Vocational training/certification in general maintenance areas preferred.
Environmental Conditions: Work is primarily performed outside in varying and extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time where employees are exposed to excessively loud noises from construction equipment, exposure to live sewer systems, human debris, drug paraphernalia, hot tar and asphalt, heavy equipment, working in and around trenches, hazardous gases, fumes, paint, chemicals and pesticides. Physical effort is required to perform heavy manual labor in confined and cramped spaces and uncomfortable conditions, climb ladders, bend, reach, and stand for long periods of time. Occasional exposure to slippery and/or uneven surfaces, heights above twenty (20) feet
Commercial Driver License (CDL): A Commercial Driver License (CDL) is not required for this position. However, if necessary and upon pre-approval by management, incumbent may be assigned to operate CDL-class vehicles.
Pay Grade:112 Salary Range: Minimum: $14.54/hour Maximum: $21.81/hour