This full-time, entry-level position is responsible for supporting community relations and communications activities for all Mote divisions and programs, and the institutional goals of:
1) promoting Mote as a world-class marine research institution,
2) generating attendance for Mote Aquarium, Education programs and events, and
3) supporting fundraising efforts.
It supports and enhances the institution’s reputation, integrity and partnerships, primarily through content creation and analytics interpretation for Mote’s online/digital outreach platforms.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the day-to-day planning and execution of the organization’s social media channels, including content and strategy
- Responsible for developing and writing content for Mote’s website, internal publications and press releases
- Responsible for the day-to-day planning and execution of the organization’s email communications, including scheduling, content creation and mailing list management
- Responsible for managing paid advertising schedule and coordinating with other Mote CRC staff to successfully meet ad placement deadlines.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A four-year college degree in a communications, journalism or digital media field, or equivalent work experience in a similar environment, is preferred
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously
- Proficiency in the use and management of all social media platforms, including ad design and placement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to simplify complex topics for a general audience
- Ability to thrive in a team environment and work in partnership with staff focused on publications, design, public relations, social media and marketing
- Administrative skills such as proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, with the ability to adapt to our use of project management and productivity software (Airtable, Asana, Slack, etc)
- Experience using website content management systems and/or mass email distribution systems and associated analytics tools is a plus
- Writing/editorial experience for journalistic or promotional purposes is a plus
Interested applicants should apply online by choosing “2023 Communications Coordinator” at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm January 31, 2023.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company
Employer Willing to Train: Yes