The Volunteer Coordinator will work with the Manager of Volunteer Resources and under the Director of Volunteer and Intern Programs to support new and existing Mote volunteers. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Providing outstanding on-site support and resources for Mote volunteers
- Assist with the management of volunteer databases, record-keeping, communication, and other support activities in the Volunteer Program office
- Fielding phone calls, electronic communications and visits to answer questions about volunteer opportunities
- Assisting with the creation and implementation of volunteer training and departmental transition to Mote Science Education Aquarium
- Development, planning, execution and evaluation of volunteer functions including: training classes, shift briefings, meetings, orientations, social gatherings, and other events
- Assisting with the placement, training and follow-up with new volunteers
- Assisting with communication of volunteer opportunities internally and throughout the community
- Developing and maintaining productive, positive relationships with staff and volunteers
- Working with Mote staff and departments to meet their volunteer needs
Knowledge, Skills, and other Characteristics
This candidate will possess outstanding communication skills, poise, and confidence, skilled in written and oral communication with the ability to represent Mote Marine Laboratory to a variety of audiences, and to train others to do so. They should have a strong commitment to customer service, sound judgment, an understanding of the challenges and opportunities of organizations with extensive volunteer engagement and the determination to work towards a common mission.
- Experience working with, recruiting, scheduling and managing volunteers
- Preparation and electronic distribution of communications to a variety of audiences
- Strong Microsoft Office experience (Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of and experience with cloud-based database systems, preferably Volgistics
Our ideal candidate is honest, caring, and professional with a strong work ethic and a contagious, positive energy. S/he is a giving team member, a creative and proactive problem solver, and an enthusiastic collaborator who believes deeply in Mote and its mission.
Laboratory Category: Normal hours 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Sunday - Thursday; with a one-hour lunch break. Occasional evening, additional weekend and holiday work will be required.
- College degree or comparable work experience
- Experience working with volunteers
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Strong computer skills including MS Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Database management experience
- Strong customer service experience
- Florida driver’s license (or eligibility to obtain one upon arrival)
- U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen’s U.S. work permit appropriate for the work
- Stamina for working occasional long hours at outdoor locations in hot/cold weather, high humidity, intense sunlight and wet weather while responsible for interns and volunteers
The hiring of a successful candidate for this position is conditional on a background check within two weeks of start date.
Interested applicants should apply on line by choosing “2023 Volunteer Coordinator” at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm September 22, 2023.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $21,000 - $40,000/year,$41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company