Education Programs Coordinator
Mote’s Education Department develops and delivers high quality education programs using best practices and technology to reach diverse and global audiences. We inspire active involvement in environmental stewardship, foster learning in future generations, and continue to seek out opportunities to improve and expand our programs and ourselves.
The Education Coordinator will develop, coordinate, instruct, and evaluate educational programs at Mote Marine Laboratory campuses and within the community. They will work closely with staff, volunteers, and interns in the Education Department and throughout the Lab and Aquarium to ensure that our mission and the needs of our audiences are being met.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Mote’s research, local marine habitats, and best practices in informal science education.
- Work collaboratively with other Mote staff on program development to facilitate the translation and transference of scientific information to a variety of audiences.
- Implement effective, high energy, developmentally appropriate and non-discriminatory experiences that are aligned with Mote’s mission (and standards as applicable).
- Provide an enhanced participant experience through positive interactions and engaging activities.
- Create a safe, inclusive, and rewarding program for every participant.
- Prioritize customer service and consistently demonstrate a positive and welcoming demeanor in interactions with guests, participants, staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Understand, abide by, and ensure enforcement of Mote’s and the Department’s policies, safety procedures, and animal safety protocols.
- Possess knowledge and ability to work within Mote’s registration systems and technology databases.
- Possess the ability to oversee teams of staff/interns/volunteers during programs with a positive attitude and strong leadership skills.
The Public Programs Coordinator will support all education program areas including school programs, virtual programs, public programs, community engagement programs, camps programs, and education animal care.
- Coordinate program logistic arrangements, scheduling, materials procurement, curriculum development, and any other duties to ensure successful programs. This position will be responsible for coordinating programs including (but not limited to): camp programs, school holiday programs, scout programs, birthday parties, sleepovers and grant funded youth programs.
- Develop and lead current & relevant education programs based on Mote’s expanding research programs and local marine environments that enhance ocean literacy and incorporate consistent conservation messages.
- Lead hands-on educational on-site classroom/lab/field programs; outreach programs; programs based at Mote field stations around Florida.
- Provide high quality group management to groups of participants of varying ages.
- Provide direction/mentorship to Education Specialists, interns, and volunteers.
- Prepare, organize, and maintain current educational resources with innovative ideas for future uses, working within the determined budgetary guidelines.
- Provide outstanding customer service to our guests.
- Assist with Education animal care and exhibit maintenance.
- Participate in Aquarium docent shifts as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, science, or related field or equivalent experience.
- 2 years experience in informal science education program coordination, development, and delivery.
- Experience demonstrating the ability to:
- Coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Oversee seasonal staff, volunteers and/or interns.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Follow departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
- Work occasional longer hours at outdoor locations in hot/cold/wet weather, high humidity, intense sunlight while responsible for students and/or teachers.
- Preferred experience leading virtual/on-camera programs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and/or Google Docs required, experience with spreadsheets and CRM or camp registration systems a bonus.
- Certifications required: CPR/First Aid, Lifeguard & EpiPen (may be acquired within 3 months of hire date)
- Ability to carry/move heavy objects up to 40 lbs and lead rigorous outdoor activities such as nature walks and kayaking programs.
- Florida driver’s license (or eligibility to obtain one upon arrival) with clean driving record and at least 5 years of driving experience.
- Reliable transportation and the ability to arrive at (off-site) locations on time.
- U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen’s U.S. work permit appropriate for the work.
Core Competencies and Characteristics
Our ideal candidate is an honest, passionate, and professional educator with an extremely high work ethic and a contagious, positive energy. They need to be a dynamic presenter, a diligent innovator, a natural leader, and an enthusiastic collaborator and networker who believes deeply in Mote and its mission.
The Education Coordinator will assist with the training, supervision and evaluation of Education Specialists, college interns, high school student interns, and volunteers during programs.
The hiring of a successful candidate for this position is conditional on a background check within three months of starting.
Interested applicants should apply online by choosing “2022 Education Programs Coordinator” at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm December 2, 2022.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $21,000 - $40,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company