Education Specialist II (based in the Upper Keys, FL)
The full time Education Specialist II will assist with instruction and evaluation of educational programs at Mote Marine Laboratory’s International Center for Coral Reef Research and Restoration (IC2R3) and within the community. The Education Specialist II works closely with staff, volunteers, and interns in the Education Department and throughout the Lab to ensure that our mission and the needs of the audiences are being met.
This position will lead education programs in the upper Florida Keys from Key Largo to Marathon.
- Implement engaging hands-on educational activities
- Prepare and teach classroom/lab/field programs, outreach programs, facility tours, evening events, and other education programs
- Provide high quality group management to groups of participants of varying ages
- Provide direction to other interns and volunteers working with the program
- Prepare, organize and maintain educational resources
- Provide outstanding customer service to our guests
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Schedules will vary and may include some evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, science (or current enrollment in these degree programs) or related field or equivalent experience
- At least one year formal/informal teaching experience preferred
- Valid US driver’s license with clean driving record and at least 5 years of driving experience
- Reliable transportation and the ability to arrive at (off-site) locations at designated times
- U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen’s U.S. work permit appropriate for the work
- Certifications required: CPR/First Aid, Open Water SCUBA
- Certifications preferred: Lifeguarding, Rescue SCUBA
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Stamina for working occasional long hours at outdoor locations in hot/cold weather, high humidity, intense sunlight, and wet weather while responsible for youth and adult participants
- Not excessively prone to motion/sea sickness
- Ability to carry/move heavy objects up to 40 lbs occasionally
The hiring of a successful candidate for this position is conditional on a background check.
Interested applicants should apply on line by choosing “2022 Education Specialist II, Florida Keys” at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm August 12, 2022.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $21,000 - $40,000/year
Employer Willing to Train: Yes