Laboratory Support Specialist, Natural Science Lab (Venice)
Join our Natural Science Team!
SCF offers many benefits to our employees: from obtaining tuition scholarship for employees and eligible dependents, paid Life Insurance, matching Florida Retirement System (FRS) contribution, complimentary access to Wellness activities, paid sick and vacation time, access for eligible dependents to our on-campus Collegiate School, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and many more!
Visit our https://scf.edu/Administration/HumanResources/Benefits/default.asp for benefit details.
Prepares and coordinates all materials used in instructional laboratories. Inventories, organizes and maintains equipment and materials. Assists with oversight and maintenance of the instructional laboratory facility. Assists in the compliance with safety programs defined by the College and Natural Science Department. Provides training and supervision of student assistants within the laboratories.
Applicants may be asked to demonstrate any or all of the following duties:
- Supports all Science laboratory courses offered at the College, including but not limited to: Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Anatomy/Physiology, Interdisciplinary Science and Physics/Physical Science.
- Prepares, organizes and coordinates the materials and supplies for laboratory classes. Oversees quality assurance and quality control.
- Assists faculty with the development and implementation of instructional laboratory activities.
- Coordinates the use of laboratory equipment and resources to meet daily instructional requirements.
- Maintains laboratory equipment, assuring readiness for daily use. Reports the need for repair or maintenance to the Lab Manager or designee as necessary. Instructs faculty and staff in proper use of equipment.
- Maintains the laboratory facility in good working order. Acts as liaison with Physical Plant for building maintenance, upgrade and/or repair.
- Oversees the day to day operations within the laboratory facility, reporting any needs to Lab Manager or designee.
- Assists with the acquisition, installation, maintenance and movement of equipment, furniture and other laboratory items needed for instruction or general operations of the lab.
- Assesses the need for laboratory materials and supplies, reporting specific needs to Lab Manager or designee. Receives, shelves and maintains inventory of laboratory materials and equipment, updating records as required.
- Provides laboratory orientation and training with regards to technology, lab equipment, operations and safety to faculty and staff as needed.
- Acts as lead supervisor for student assistants, providing training, assigning work, providing direction and evaluating performance as needed.
- Assists with identification of equipment needs within the instructional laboratories, reporting such needs to be included in department budget proposals.
- Works with external vendors on the selection and availability of materials and supplies, obtaining pricing and purchasing information as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience: Associate’s degree from two-year college or university and two or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Supervisory Experience: One or more years of experience as a “lead “employee, with responsibility for scheduling and assigning work, training new employees, and assisting others with problems, is required.
Special Instructions to Applicants Public Record: All college searches are subject to compliance with Florida’s Public Records Law and all documents submitted become the property of the college.
Veteran Preference: This position is a career-level position and is eligible for veteran preference. If you qualify, please complete the Veteran Preference section of the application and attach a copy of your DD214.
Pre-Employment Screenings Requires successful completion of criminal background screenings and employment reference checks.
Department Name: Natural Science
Work Schedule: 12 month
Work Hours From: Varies
Work Hours To: Varies
Total Hours Per Week: 35 hours per week
Requested Start Date: ASAP
Job Type: Staff/Administration
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Hiring Range: $15.80-$23.20
Job Open Date: 12/15/2022
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3863484
State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota does not discriminate on the basis of sex, pregnancy, race, religion, age, national origin/ethnicity, color, marital status, disability, genetic information or sexual orientation in any of its educational programs, services and activities, including admission and employment.
Direct inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies to: Equity Officer, 941-752-5599, 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton, FL 34207. Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved. https://www.jobelephant.com/ jeid-f3f35946a96e5e41b5b0c7199ccf2286