Mote Science Education Aquarium (SEA) Education Liaison
Mote’s Education Department develops and delivers high quality education programs using best practices and technology to reach diverse and global audiences. We inspire active involvement in environmental stewardship, foster learning in future generations, and continue to seek out opportunities to improve and expand our programs and ourselves.
The Mote SEA Education Liaison is responsible for establishing and maintaining collaborations with school, community and other educational partners in preparation for the opening and operations of Mote SEA; collecting and analyzing data related to the needs of local teachers and students to best serve them through Mote SEA; overseeing the development and initial evaluation of school programs for Mote SEA; and providing leadership within the Education Department and Mote Marine Laboratory.
Primary Duties Include:
- Coordinate with local teachers, administrators, and district representatives to:
- Conduct a needs assessment of how Mote SEA can support the existing regional educational efforts
- Lead the development and testing of K-12 educational curriculum to be used in Mote SEA based on the findings from the needs assessment
- Develop and maintain a database of educator contact information
- Work closely with Mote SEA Campaign Director and Development Department to represent Mote at events with potential donors and otherwise help articulate the education vision for Mote SEA
- Assist in the development of registration processes, pre-field trip and supplementary materials for school groups visiting Mote SEA
- Work with other members of the Education team to integrate Mote SEA school offerings with existing and new educational programs
- Developing marketing materials to promote existing and upcoming education programs
Knowledge, Skills, and other Characteristics
The Education Liaison position requires strong organizational and project management skills, strong science content knowledge, particularly marine science, and a strong interest in promoting educational equity. Our ideal candidate is honest, caring, and professional with a tireless work ethic and a contagious, positive energy. They are a giving team member, a creative problem solver, and an enthusiastic collaborator and networker who believes deeply in Mote and its mission. This candidate will possess outstanding communication skills, poise, and confidence, skilled in written and oral communication with the ability to represent Mote Marine Laboratory to a variety of audiences. This candidate should have proven ability to create, implement and evaluate standards-based curriculum and educational programs, and possess skills in effective collaboration. They should have a strong commitment to creating exceptional and impactful experiences for participants, sound judgment, an understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the local community, and the determination to work towards the program and Lab goals. We expect the highest ethical standards, personal integrity, intelligence, good humor, resilience, energy, and spirit.
- Bachelor's degree in education, science or related field
- Master's degree or additional graduate coursework preferred
- Science content expertise
- Demonstrated excellence in curriculum development and delivery
- Experience in project management and program coordination; staff and/or volunteer management experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate successfully across a wide range of audiences, including participants, internal and external program stakeholders, teachers, administrators and other outside organizations
- Ability to translate and transfer Mote Marine Laboratory research through educational programs
- Familiarity with schools and school districts in Sarasota, Manatee and surrounding areas
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects, responsibilities and deadlines simultaneously
- Flexibility to travel locally and work evenings and weekends as needed
- Highly developed computer skills (i.e. Microsoft 365, Google Workspace) including proficiency with presentation software and spreadsheets
- U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen's U.S. work permit appropriate for the work
- Valid US driver’s license with clean driving record and at least 5 years of driving experience.
The hiring of a successful candidate for this position is conditional on a background check within two weeks of hiring.
Interested applicants should apply online by choosing “2023 Mote SEA Education Liaison” at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm March 31, 2023.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company