Supplemental Instruction Specialist - TASC (Math)
Supplemental Instruction Specialist - TASC (Math)
Join our SCF Tutoring and Academic Success Center Team! SCF offers many benefits to our employees from obtaining tuition scholarship for employees and eligible dependents, paid Life Insurance, matching Florida Retirement System (FRS) contribution, complimentary access to wellness activities, paid sick and vacation time, access for eligible dependents to our on-campus Collegiate School and many more!
Visit our https://scf.edu/Administration/HumanResources/Benefits/default.asp for benefit details.
Job Summary: Oversees student learning activities in the Tutoring and Academic Success Center (TASC): designs, pilots, implements, coordinates, and assesses individual and group tutoring, study coaching, supplemental instruction initiatives, workshop programs, and developmental skills labs. This person engages with a large number of students every day, teaching and reinforcing the skills and strategies to help students become independent and active learners, while providing content specific support. This person develops, organizes, updates, and maintains relevant study materials, coordinates TASC learning initiatives with the TASC team, faculty, course coordinators, or Department Chairs. Job Description Applicants may be asked to demonstrate any or all of the following duties:
1. Designs, implements, coordinates, and assesses the success of: tutoring, study coaching, and supplemental instruction initiatives. Develop study and review materials for use in these initiatives.
2. Maintains expert knowledge in one or more academic area (Math, English, or Science). Serves as a resource person for the peer tutors (student tutors). Mentor and trains new student tutors. Develops and maintains the tutor training manual and training materials. Tutor students individually who request assistance.
3. Presents TASC orientations to students and faculty. Develops presentation materials. Represents the TASC at college events. Collaborates with Communications and Marketing to develop materials for these events.
4. Collaborates with faculty mentors, early alert advisors, and course coordinators to identify specific student academic and study skills issues. Designs and implements individualized student development activities on a case-by-case basis to help students achieve academic improvement consistent with their goals, values, interests, and abilities.
5. Supervises the operation of the TASC during evening and weekend hours, as required when the Lab Manager is not present. Ensures that all staff and students contribute to a productive study atmosphere in the TASC.
6. Keeps current on changing professional practices and the growing use of instructional technologies. Learns, manages, implements, and trains in the use of current study skills and academic software platforms, learning management systems, printing systems, etc. Instructs staff and students in their appropriate use. Troubleshoots common issues.
7. Collaborates with faculty, course coordinators, and department chairs to improve academic support of gateway courses and high-risk courses by integrating TASC services and learning resource materials into course curricula and best practices. Represents the TASC on college-wide committees and at department meetings to integrate TASC services into appropriate pilot programs and initiatives.
8. Conducts workshops on demand. Coordinates with students and faculty to incorporate material that addresses the needs of the students. Develops workshop materials, prepares presentations, and utilizes a variety of instructional approaches as appropriate for an academically diverse population.
9. Works collaboratively with other TASC staff members to ensure smooth operation of the TASC: organizes and updates inventories and usage records, maintains and troubleshoots student use computers and printers, report equipment in need of repair, participates in selection of learning resource materials and other supplies for purchase, open and close the facility as needed.
10. Perform other tasks or duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications · Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from four-year college, or university and one or more years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have “expert knowledge” of college level math (algebra, trigonometry and either statistics or calculus). ·
Supervisory Experience: One or more years of experience as a “lead” employee, with responsibility for scheduling and assigning work, training new employees, and assisting others with problems.
Preferred Qualifications Previous experience tutoring and/or teaching college students is preferred. Special Instructions to Applicants All college searches are subject to compliance with Florida’s Public Records Law and all documents submitted become the property of the college.
This position is a career-level position and is eligible for veteran preference. If you qualify, please complete the Veteran Preference section of the application and attach a copy of your DD214.
Pre-Employment Screenings Requires successful completion of criminal background screenings and employment reference checks.
Tutoring and Academic Success Center Campus: Bradenton
Work Schedule: 12 month Work. Hours will vary Total Hours Per Week: 35 hours Requested
Start Date: ASAP
Benefits Eligible: Yes Hiring Range: $27,080.67 - $40,620.54 (please note that majority of applicants will be offered at midpoint of range) FLSA: Exempt Job Open Date: 02/22/2022
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2872407 State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota does not discriminate on the basis of sex, pregnancy, race, religion, age, national origin/ethnicity, color, marital status, disability, genetic information or sexual orientation in any of its educational programs, services and activities, including admission and employment.
Direct inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies to: Equity Officer, 941-752-5323
5840 26th St. W., Bradenton, FL 34207
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved. https://www.jobelephant.com/ jeid-c6b7f8e4e377864381b31acaa9335d9d