Supplemental Instruction Specialist TRIO Student Support Services
Supplemental Instruction Specialist TRIO Student Support Service
Join our SCF TRIO Student Support Services Team!
SCF offers many benefits to our employees from obtaining tuition scholarship for employees and eligible dependents, paid Life Insurance, matching Florida Retirement System (FRS) contribution, complimentary access to Wellness activities, paid sick and vacation time, access for eligible dependents to our on-campus Collegiate School and many more!
Visit our https://scf.edu/Administration/HumanResources/Benefits/default.asp for benefit details.
This grant funded position reports to the TRIO Student Support Services Coordinator and designs, pilots, implements, coordinates, and assesses individual and group tutoring, academic and study coaching, supplemental instruction initiatives, financial aid assistance, and workshop programs for TRIO SSS participants. This position mentors and trains new student tutors, develops and maintains appropriate training materials, and tutors/coaches students individually who need assistance in one or more academic (Math, English, Science or other) or non-academic areas.
Applicants may be asked to demonstrate any or all of the following duties:
1. Designs, implements, coordinates, and assesses the success of: tutoring, academic and study coaching, and supplemental instruction initiatives. Develops study materials and instructional materials for use in these initiatives.
2. Instructs students with a variety of academic needs. Plans curriculum, develops syllabi, and administers lessons, orders and provides texts and materials. Collaborates with the Tutoring and Academic Success Center (TASC) to best serve students' needs.
3. Maintains expert knowledge in one or more academic area (Math, English, Science, or other) or non-academic areas. Serves as a resource person for the peer tutors (student tutors). Mentors and trains new student tutors. Develops and maintains the tutor training manual and training materials. Tutors/coaches students who request assistance.
4. Presents orientations to students and faculty. Develops presentation materials. Represents TRIO Student Support Services at college events.
5. Collaborates with faculty and staff to identify specific student academic and study skills issues. Designs and implements individualized student development activities on a case-by-case basis to help students achieve academic improvement consistent with their goals, values, interests, and abilities.
6. Assists the TRIO Student Support Services program with the recruitment and retention of participants.
7. Keeps current on changing professional practices and the growing use of instructional technologies. Learns, manages, implements, and trains in the use of current study skills and academic software platforms, learning management systems, printing systems, etc. Instructs staff and students in their appropriate use. Troubleshoots common issues.
8. Collaborates with faculty and staff to improve academic support of gateway courses and high-risk courses by integrating TRIO Student Support services and learning resource materials into course curricula and best practices. Represents the TRIO Student Support Services on college-wide committees and at department meetings to integrate TRIO services into appropriate pilot programs and initiatives.
9. Conducts workshops on demand. Coordinates with students and faculty to incorporate material that addresses the needs of the students. Develops workshop materials, prepares presentations, and utilizes a variety of instructional approaches as appropriate for an academically diverse population.
10. Works collaboratively with other TRIO staff members to ensure smooth operation of the program. Organizes and updates inventories and usage records, maintains and troubleshoots student use computers and printers, report equipment in need of repair, participates in selection of learning resource materials and other supplies for purchase, opens and closes the facility as needed.
11. Performs other tasks or duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications ·
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from four-year college, or university and one or more years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Previous experience tutoring and/or teaching college students.
• “Expert knowledge” in one of the academic fields supported through the TASC: demonstrable knowledge of college level math (algebra, trigonometry and either statistics or calculus) or college level science (at least two of the following: biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy & physiology), or college level English.
• Ability to read, write and speak the Spanish language.
Supervisory Experience: One or more years of experience as a “lead” employee, with responsibility for scheduling and assigning work, training new employees, and assisting others with problems.
Special Instructions to Applicants Please note this position is grant funded and subject to availability of funding through August 31, 2022. All college searches are subject to compliance with Florida’s Public Records Law and all documents submitted become the property of the college. This position is a career-level position and is eligible for veteran preference. If you qualify, please complete the Veteran Preference section of the application and attach a copy of your DD214.
Pre-Employment Screenings Requires successful completion of criminal background screenings and employment reference checks. Department Name: Student Services
Work Schedule: 12 month
Work Hours From: Varies
Work Hours To: Varies
Total Hours Per Week: 35
Requested Start Date: ASAP
Job Type: Benefits Eligible: Yes
Hiring Range: $27,080.67 - $40,620.54 (please note that majority of applicants will be offered at midpoint of range)
Job Open Date: 12/06/2021
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2912934
State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota does not discriminate on the basis of sex, pregnancy, race, religion, age, national origin/ethnicity, color, marital status, disability, genetic information or sexual orientation in any of its educational programs, services and activities, including admission and employment. Direct inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies to: Equity Officer, 941-752-5323, 5840 26th St. W., Bradenton, FL 34207. Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved. https://www.jobelephant.com/ jeid-4df4e0be029b1d4391b8db783517438c