Baggage Handling System Technician (10 Positions)
Schedule: Variable, under 29/hrs. per week
Under direct supervision, performs general labor and maintenance necessary to maintain airport conveyor system and process baggage. Performs manual labor for a variety of baggage marshalling and conveyor maintenance functions.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Performs general baggage marshalling work including, but not limited to, bag staging, sorting, carrying, and placing. Assist in preventing Baggage jams in the conveyor system by various means. Clear jams to restore the operation of the conveyor system.
- Repairs and performs light preventive maintenance, such as greasing and adjustments, as directed, on baggage conveyor systems and keeps baggage conveyor tunnels, baggage inspection rooms and carousel areas clean.
- Inspects all areas around and related to conveyor systems for any safety issues. Issues are relayed to Facilities supervision.
- Although primarily assigned to baggage, conveyor and conveyor related functions, the individual may be asked to cross-train with and assists other Facilities/SMAA personnel on an as needed basis.
- Hammer, screwdrivers, paint brush, saws, wrenches, grease guns, cleaning supplies, brooms, vacuum cleaners, radios, and phones.
Where "preferred" is indicated, the qualification is not essential.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Florida License or must obtain within (30) days of assuming position and a good driving record, preferred.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and methods of basic maintenance.
- Knowledge of potential safety hazards and related safety precautions.
- Skill in the use of, or ability to learn the use of hand and power tools.
- Ability to perform routine and physical work.
- Ability to understand and interpret oral and written instructions.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, fellow employees, tenants and the public.
- Must present tidy, professional appearance.
- Ability to read and comprehend plans and specifications, preferred.
The Baggage Handling System Technician must be physically fit in order to perform manual labor. Physical work is performed both outside and indoors in all weather conditions for extended periods of time. Day and night shift work schedules are required. Shift work will include weekends and holidays.
A Baggage Handling System Technician will work in a busy, changing environment that requires focus to maintain a high standard of quality and safety. Accordingly, individual must be able to work with and understand instructions from various people and change work direction quickly.
The majority of a Baggage Handling System Technician shift is spent working in a hands-on capacity on a variety of baggage and baggage conveyor systems. Physical work is continuous. Day and night shift work schedules are required. Shift work will include weekends and holidays.
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job class specification are intended only as illustrations of the various duties to be performed and are not all inclusive. The omission of other specific duties does not exclude them from being performed by the Baggage Handling System Technician if the duties are similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. This job class specification does not constitute an employment contract between SMAA and the Baggage Handling System Technician and is subject to change at the discretion of the Airport Authority.
This Class Specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description, but which are commensurate with similar levels of responsibility. ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES. 5070
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS LISTED BELOW.
1. Applicants desiring to be considered for this position should apply directly with the Sarasota-Manatee Airport Authority by visiting our website @www.srq-airport.com; or, calling 941-359-2770 ext. 4212.
Return your completed SMAA application to the address shown on the signature page of the application form; OR fax it to 941-359-5024. Only Sarasota Manatee Airport Authority (SMAA) application forms will be accepted.
2. Minimum qualifications must be met by the closing date in order to be considered eligible for the position. Resumes may be submitted as supplements, but cannot be accepted in lieu of an application. Applications and resumes are subject to disclosure under the Florida Sunshine Law.
3. Veterans’ Preference documentation, reference names, etc. must be submitted at the time of application. In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, appropriate identification documents verifying eligibility for employment will be required for the applicant who is hired.
4. The Sarasota Manatee Airport Authority participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
5. Your application will not be considered unless complete answers are provided to all questions on the application.
6. The Airport Authority's Drug-Free Workplace Program requires that applicants take and pass a drug test prior to being hired.