Graphic Designer, Aquarium Exhibits and Science Illustration
The Graphic Designer is responsible for designing graphics and other illustrated materials for Mote Aquarium’s exhibits. Graphics will include printed signage, digital graphics for exhibit monitors, editable templates for other aquarium teams to use, directional signage, proposal materials for new exhibits, and other aspects as required.
Applicants with a passion for using innovative design to create an outstanding educational experience for Mote’s guests are encouraged to apply. All work performed by the Graphic Designer must demonstrate a high level of professionalism and attention to detail. The Graphic Designer often works on multiple projects concurrently and is responsible for documenting and communicating progress towards goals effectively with stakeholders in multiple departments.
- Design printed signs and other graphic materials for the aquarium.
- Reprint and replace existing signs as they show wear.
- Design infographics that communicate complex scientific information to the general public.
- Work closely and communicate effectively with Mote staff from multiple departments and outside vendors.
- Maintain organized storage of small signs (staff only, exhibit in progress, out of order, etc) and other print items (cardstock, lamination pouches, etc).
- Maintain organized digital file storage.
- Support Mote’s brand identity by designing graphics that match and supplement our core brand.
- Handle projects from concept through installation, including (but not limited to) consulting with internal clients, working with print vendors, copywriters, and photographers.
- Prioritize a clean, organized, and safe work environment and observe safety and risk management procedures in public areas and workspaces.
- Complete work in compliance with related plans, policies, procedures, laws and standards including; Local, State, and Federal laws – (copyright permissions, etc.), AZA standards, Disaster preparedness, and ADA guidelines.
- Make immediate/emergency repairs within one's abilities or make sure area is safe for Mote guests and staff before reporting issue promptly to maintenance team and supervisor.
- Record work completed and in progress on the exhibits project task list database.
- Other duties as assigned.
Normal hours are 7:30am to 4:30pm Sunday-Thursday with a one hour unpaid break for lunch. A normal work week is 40 hours. Weekend, holiday and occasional evening duty will be required. Mote Aquarium is open to the public 365 days a year from 9:30am-5pm. Travel will occasionally be required for offsite exhibit installation and maintenance.
First Aid and CPR certified or the ability to attain within 3 months of hire date
Florida Drivers License or the ability to obtain one within 1 month of hire date
Formal education/a degree in graphic design, science illustration, general illustration, a related field, or equivalent experience. Visual science communication experience is preferred but not required.
- Creative mindset; strong problem-solving and analytical abilities
- Strong organizational and time management skills, and ability to prioritize projects
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self motivated
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Experience working with and editing photos
- Interest in learning how to install rigid and vinyl signage on a variety of surfaces (concrete, drywall, stucco, etc.) or prior experience with sign installation
- Experience working in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Interest in working with and mentoring volunteers and interns
- Interest in working with traditional media (could include painting murals on a variety of surfaces) preferred but not required.
- Ability to work outside in all Florida weather conditions
- Ability to spend the majority of the workday walking, standing, bending and lifting.
- Capable of climbing and working from ladders
- Tolerance to work around noisy machinery & equipment
- Tolerance for the smell of fish and animal feces
- Ability to lift and carry 60 lbs occasionally
- Ability to lift 25lbs overhead occasionally
- Capable of working around bleach, solvents, epoxy, and other chemicals typically used in exhibit fabrication and maintenance.
- Tolerance working with wet hands, feet and clothes
- Close vision and color vision
- Ability to tolerate sitting, repetitive movement, standing, walking
- Ability to use hands to handle, control or feel objects
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $21,000 - $40,000/year,$41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company