Staff Biologist, Coral Health and Disease Program
Primary Function: This position will primarily assist in the data analysis and management of the Coral Health and Disease Program's historical and ongoing research on coral health, resilience, and susceptibility to environmental changes including global and local stressors. The majority of this staff’s time will be located in Sarasota, FL. However, this position will, in part, be responsible for the implementation and management of coral resilience experiments conducted within the Climate and Acidification Ocean Simulator at Mote’s International Center for Coral Reef Research and Restoration in Summerland Key, FL.
- Assist with implementation of coral experiments including experimental set up, tank maintenance, data collection, data analysis, and report writing
- Oversee ongoing coral resilience related projects at IC2R3 - this will require travel and lodging at IC2R3 for ~2 consecutive months each summer
- Maintain databases of coral measurements assessing health state and water quality parameters
- Oversee data management and data analysis of the coral resilience research deliverables and additional related research projects within the scope of funded grants
- Assist Sarasota Lab Manager with maintenance of the wetlab and drylab spaces in Mote Sarasota
- Maintain and utilize equipment used to assess water quality and coral health state of funded projects
- Undertake laboratory assays and process samples for various biological analyses of experimental corals
- Travel to field sites to conduct underwater data collection, monitoring of coral health conditions, and collect samples for analysis
- Assist in the production of project reports and peer reviewed manuscripts on coral health and disease related research
- Mentor undergraduate or graduate level interns and oversee volunteers that participate within coral health and disease research projects
- Assist Mote’s development and education departments with outreach activities: this includes providing presentations on Mote’s coral research/restoration, providing tours of the lab, and participating in donor-related events
Additional duties will include assisting Mote staff with various duties related to the daily operation of a full service marine laboratory
Minimum Qualifications and Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- B.S. degree in the marine or biological sciences from an accredited college or university.
- Valid Florida driver's license.
- Ability to be an adaptable and collegial member of the team, self-motivated and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Working knowledge of computer software (Windows, Word, Excel) for entering data and providing input on project reports
- Demonstrated ability to statistically analyze and visualize data using R
- Experience with experimental design, independent research, and statistical applications
- Comfortable working long hours at outdoor raceways
- M.S. degree in the marine or biological sciences from an accredited college or university
- One first author publication in a peer reviewed journal
- Experience working with large datasets preferred
- Meet and maintain AAUS Scientific Diver standards, including medical requirements.
- Participate in heavy physical exertion while swimming or diving or hauling gear required during land-based research activities
- Knowledge of coral husbandry and experience working with aquariums/raceways
- Familiarity with PAM fluorometry, respiration chambers, carbonate chemistry analysis, and climate change and ocean acidification research is preferred
- Ability to identify Caribbean Coral Species
- Weekend and evening work may be required often
Interested applicants should apply on line by choosing “2023 Staff Biologist CHaD” at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm June 30, 2023.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company