Volunteer Coordinator, Florida Keys
The Keys Volunteer Coordinator will work with the Citizen Science Manager, Volunteer and Intern Office staff, under the Director of Volunteer and Intern Resources and Associate Vice President for Education to support new and existing Mote volunteers at Mote facilities throughout the Keys. This position will be located at the International Center for Coral Reef Research and Restoration in Summerland Key. Job duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Providing outstanding support and resources for Mote volunteers and interns
- Assisting with managing the volunteer and intern database, record-keeping, communication, and other support activities in coordination with the Volunteer and Intern Office in Sarasota
- Leading field- and land-based coral restoration activities, including dive trips with citizen scientists
- Fielding phone calls, electronic communications and visits to answer questions about volunteer opportunities
- Development, planning, execution and evaluation of volunteer training and volunteer performance
- Liaising with Mote science staff to place, train and evaluate new volunteers
- Assisting with communication of volunteer opportunities internally and throughout the community to recruit new volunteers
- Developing and maintaining productive, positive relationships with the FL Keys staff, volunteers and interns
- Other duties as needed to support volunteers and interns in the FL Keys
This candidate will possess outstanding communication skills, poise, and confidence, skilled in written and oral communication with the ability to represent Mote Marine Laboratory to a variety of audiences, and to train others to do so. They should have a strong commitment to customer service, sound judgment, an understanding of the challenges and opportunities of organizations with extensive volunteer engagement, and the determination to work towards a common purpose with skill in facilitating change.
- Experience working with, recruiting, scheduling and managing volunteers
- Experience working with undergraduate students in educational settings
- Experience in leading dive trips for participants with a range of experience levels in a variety of conditions
- Preparation and electronic distribution of communications to a variety of audiences
Normal hours are 8:30-5:00 with 30-minute lunch break: however, regularly flexible weekend and modified weekday hours will be required during a 40 hour work week.
- College degree in biology, marine science, or related field
- Experience working with volunteers ot college interns
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- SCUBA Divemaster Certification (or willingness and ability to obtain within 4 months of hire at own expense) and ability to SCUBA dive on a regular basis
- AAUS Scientific Diver certification (or willingness and ability to obtain within 4 months of hire at own expense)
- Strong computer skills including MS Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Strong customer service experience
- Florida driver’s license (or eligibility to obtain one upon arrival) and the ability to drive Mote service vehicles including pickup trucks
- U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen U.S. work permit appropriate for the work
- Stamina for working occasional long hours at outdoor locations in hot/cold weather, high humidity, intense sunlight and wet weather while responsible for interns and volunteers
The hiring of a successful candidate for this position is conditional on a background check within two weeks of start date.
Interested applicants should apply on line by choosing “2023 Volunteer Coordinator, FL Keys” at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm June 9, 2023.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company