- This full-time, entry-level position is responsible for supporting community relations and communications activities for all Mote divisions and programs, and the institutional goals of: 1) promoting Mote as a world-class marine research institution and public Aquarium, 2) generating attendance for Mote Aquarium, Education programs and events, and 3) supporting fundraising efforts. It supports and enhances the institution’s reputation, integrity and partnerships, primarily through content creation and analytics interpretation for Mote’s online/digital outreach platforms.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities:
- Working alongside other members of the communications department, this role is responsible for the overall promotion of Mote Aquarium and events, Mote Education programs, and fundraising efforts, working in the following communications channels:
- Day-to-day content creation and planning related to the execution of the organization’s email communications
- Day-to-day management of the organization’s social media channels, including content creation, planning, engagement and customer service.
- Placement of paid advertising and coordinating with other Mote CRC staff to successfully meet ad placement deadlines.
- Public relations efforts, including media tours and interviews, drafting press releases
- Maintaining and interpreting analytics to improve performance of email communications, social media, public relations and paid advertisements.
- Other duties as needed to support other CRC staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A four-year college degree in a communications or digital media field, or equivalent work experience in a similar environment, is preferred
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to simplify complex topics for a general audience
- Ability to thrive in a team environment and work in partnership with staff focused on publications, design, public relations, social media and marketing
- Administrative skills such as proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, with the ability to adapt to our use of project management and productivity software (Airtable, Asana, Slack, etc)
- Experience using social media platforms and/or mass email distribution systems and associated analytics tools is a plus
- Writing/editorial experience for journalistic or promotional purposes is a plus
Interested applicants should apply on line by choosing 2021 Communications Coordinator at
https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm December 10, 2021.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $21,000 - $40,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company
Employer Willing to Train: Yes