DEED SPECIALIST I
Job Description Summary: Under the direction of the Director – Mapping Services and the direct supervision of the Lead Deed Specialist, the Deed Specialist I reviews all recorded documents as well as a variety of unrecorded documents and performs necessary changes to the assessed party on the tax roll.
Education / Experience Requirements: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. This is an entry-level position. Prior experience in maintaining property records and in title research is preferred. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Job Duties and Essential Functions The Job Duties illustrated are intended only as examples of the types of work performed by incumbents assigned to the classification. Omission of specific duties does not exclude them from a position if the duties are similar, related, or are a logical assignment of the position.
• Analyze all recorded and certain unrecorded documents for any changes in the title and/or changes in the legal description and update the tax roll accordingly, including but not limited to assessed party, sale information, and updates to exemptions
• Direct any documents where discrepancies are found to assigned personnel for further review
• Effectively, clearly, calmly, in a pleasant and tactful manner, assist with public inquires in person or by telephone on questions pertaining to ownership and sales; assist other staff with questions regarding ownership and sales
• Maintain a log of Daily Recording pages and log documents sent for further review
• Responsible for examining certain edit reports as assigned
• Perform other related work as assigned
Knowledge / Abilities / Skills: Deed Specialist I is expected to acquire knowledge and demonstrate skills reflected below within the first six months of employment.
• Basic knowledge of data entry and data entry equipment; skilled in the use of modern office equipment
• Basic knowledge of state requirements, laws, county ordinances, rules and regulations applicable to real estate transactions, legal descriptions, recorded documents, and various types of deeds for tax roll purposes
• Possess proofreading and analytical skills in conjunction with some ability to read, understand and interpret legal descriptions
• Ability to access various software applications and websites for retrieval of necessary data in order to make the required CAMA updates as related to the assessed party, sales, and exemptions
• Basic knowledge of mathematical calculations as related to exemption values
Licenses / Certificates / Registrations:
• None required
• Indoor office environment
• Limited interaction with external customers
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $21,000 - $40,000/year
Employer Type: Government Entity
Employer Willing to Train: Yes