Utilities Technician I
Job Grade: Grade 7
$38,104 - $55,251 Annually
$18.32 - $26.56 Hourly
We offer competitive wages, great medical benefits (employee covered), paid time off, paid holidays, and a 457 retirement plan with employer match. Enjoy a great work/life balance with our four-day, ten-hour workweek.
Under limited supervision by the Utilities Supervisor, the Utilities Technician I is responsible for performing duties associated with the maintenance of the potable water supply, irrigation water supply, sanitary sewer, and stormwater conveyance systems. This position conducts preventative maintenance duties related to each utility as well as minor repair duties of pumps, valves, piping, and related infrastructure. The Utilities Technician I will also be responsible for assisting the Utilities Technician II with all utility locate services for Sunshine State One Call of Florida (SSOCOF).
In addition, the position will aid in the collection and verification of utility asset information as it relates to the Geographic Information System (GIS). This position will be a key contributor to the continued development and implementation of the Operations Preventative Maintenance Program.
UTILITIES TECHNICIAN I MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
High School graduate or equivalent GED. Minimum of two (2) years related experience and/or training. Successful completion of a background check.
UTILITIES TECHNICIAN I KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES
Must be able to read and interpret construction documents. Must have general maintenance knowledge and experience. Must have basic plumbing knowledge and experience. Must be computer literate which includes, but is not limited to, proficiency in a Microsoft Windows environment and Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook. Must be able to lift 80 pounds of weight frequently throughout the workday. Must be able to work in various positions including, but not limited to, stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling, and squatting for extended periods of time.
UTILITIES TECHNICIAN I ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. Responsible for performing semi-skilled tasks in maintaining and operating equipment associated with the maintenance and repair of the community’s utility systems including irrigation, sewer, potable water, and stormwater.
2. Exercising of water system control valves.
3. Maintenance and cleaning of valve sleeves and boxes.
4. Clearing of blocked stormwater drainage structures.
5. Respond to system failures, leaks, component malfunctions, and assess repair requirements.
6. Assist Utilities Technician II with minor utility system repairs.
7. Assist Utilities Technician II with utility locates as required by SSOCOF. Locate District owned utilities and expose utility, if necessary.
8. Assist Utilities Technician II with GPS locates of various infrastructure assets.
9. Detect faulty equipment, and defective material within and outside of primary responsibilities, and report those items and unusual situations to proper supervision.
UTILITIES TECHNICIAN I WORKING CONDITIONS
The work environment and conditions described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job:
1. Work is performed outdoors and exposed to typical weather conditions.
2. Hazards: including but not limited to heat, dehydration, and exposure to solvents and adhesives.
3. Safety equipment must always adhere to the IDA’s and governmental safety policies and use of required personal protective equipment including reflective vests, gloves, and eye and ear protection.
4. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
5. Physical risks include working in and around roadways and traffic and working in and around excavation sites.
WORKING HOURS: Normal working hours are 7:00 am to 5:30 pm, 40 hours per week, Monday through Thursday, or as determined by the Department Manager. Rotating after-hours on-call participation is required. Overtime may be required; the position is eligible for overtime pay (1 ½ time hourly rate).
Full job description available upon request.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Government Entity