Technician – Grazers Production
The purpose of this position is to support the production of invertebrate grazers for coral reef restoration. The incumbent will be responsible for assisting with the maintenance of large volume recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS), conducting husbandry and production of Caribbean king crabs to support coral reef restoration, and the production of macroalgae and algal turf. Periodic travel to research sites in the Florida Keys may be necessary to support research and restoration objectives. Duties will include assisting with data collection and entry.
- Extensive aquaculture work including husbandry and production of invertebrate grazers and algae as well as the operation and maintenance of RAS systems.
- Periodic transport of grazers and algae to/from research and field sites such as Mote’s Elizabeth Moore International Center for Coral Reef Research & Restoration (IC2R3) on Summerland Key
- Husbandry of grazer broodstock including use of snorkeling and/or SCUBA in large recirculating seawater tanks
- Help to monitor and maintain excellent water quality in all RAS systems.
- Maintain close communication with supervisor and team
Additional duties will include assisting with various tasks related to the daily operation of a full-service aquaculture station and assisting with outreach and education activities as needed.
Minimum Qualifications or Requirements:
- B.Sc. degree in marine science, aquaculture, biological sciences, ecological sciences, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Working familiarity with recirculating seawater systems required
- Ability to meet and maintain AAUS Scientific Diver standards, including medical requirements
- Valid license to drive in the State of Florida (CDL preferred)
- Lift heavy objects up to 70 lbs. required
- Participate in heavy physical exertion while swimming or diving or hauling gear required
- Proficiency with common data management and word processing software (Microsoft Excel/Word) required
- Ability to be an adaptable and collegial member of the team, be self-motivated, work efficiently and productively with minimal supervision while completing assigned tasks on time required
- Normal working hours are 8:00 am – 5:00pm M-F; however, weekend, evening, and holiday hours will be required at times to support production and restoration objectives
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- SCUBA certification from a nationally recognized certification agency (Rescue, Divemaster, or higher preferred)
- Previous research diving experience and AAUS Scientific Diver rating preferred
- Previous aquaculture and husbandry experience strongly preferred
- Experience with invertebrate husbandry and macroalgae culture preferred
- Basic knowledge of statistical analyses and report writing preferred
- Prior experience with managing large volume recirculating seawater life support systems strongly preferred
- Extensive experience trailering and hauling transport trailers preferred
Interested applicants should apply on line by choosing “2023 Technician, Grazers” at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and the contact information for three references to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before 5pm December 22, 2023.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected category. Mote participates in E-Verify.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $21,000 - $40,000/year,$41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company