CDL Driver Apprentice - Bradenton, FL
JOB DESCRIPTION As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
What is the value of a WM job? The value of a WM job is more than a paycheck. It’s a way to create opportunities for you and your family.
We Are Stable: Our WM team is home every day, and our team members perform essential and meaningful work.
We Are Committed to Growth: 100% tuition paid for benefits eligible employees and their family, and established career progression.
We Are Investing in You: Amazing Medical, Dental & Vision, 401K with match, discounted stock options, dependent day care, and more!
Who are we? #WeAreWM Ready to roll with us? Click Apply to join the WM team today.
I. Job Summary
In tandem with a seasoned WM Driver and/or WM Driver Trainer, after receiving their Commercial Driving Permit, the Driver Apprentice will complete the required training to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle providing service to customers in their respective Line of Business (LOB). The Driver Apprentice will continue in this role until they complete all training requirements.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned. While in training, the following skills will be taught and the trainee must be able to demonstrate proficiency prior to moving to the next driver level:
- After obtaining their Commercial Driving Permit, partners with a WM Driver and/or WM Driver Trainer to train on the proper way to operate a commercial refuse / recycling vehicle.
- Operates vehicle in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules, OSHA (Occupational and Safety Health Act) and DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements as well as all local, state and federal laws.
- Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle and documents checks utilizing the standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report).
- Immediately reports all unsafe situations or service related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings as required by Waste Management or directed by the Route Manager.
- Works closely with Route Manager to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
- Notifies Route Manager of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
- Notifies Route Manager or Dispatch of service interruptions including closed or impassable streets or alleyways, receptacles too heavy to service or potential safety hazards.
- Communicates customer requests to Dispatch or Route Manager.
- Completely dumps all receptacles and leaves the customer’s location clean and free of debris.
- Follows route assignments as directed and completes end of day documentation and check out process.
- Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch and assisting other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
- Performs as an on-route Helper while obtaining their Commercial Driving Permit and completing the training to be a WM Driver.
- Works in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules, OSHA (Occupational and Safety Health Act) requirements as well as all local, state and federal laws.
- Immediately reports all unsafe situations or service-related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
- Manually or mechanically load and empty residential and/or commercial containers into truck. Containers maybe staged curbside, dockside, carryout, or require pullout to complete service.
- Operates hoisting device to lift and empty bins or containers into truck hopper.
- Assists driver with all backing maneuvers while on route.
- Communicates customer requests to Dispatch or Route Manager Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch and assisting other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job. Must be at least 18 years of age Legally eligible to work in the United States. Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. Successfully complete and pass pre-employment drug screen.
A. Education and Experience Education: No education required
Experience: No previous experience required
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements Current state-issued standard Driver’s License
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required: None required.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than __ pounds occasionally; Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site.
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely; Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the work day; Normal setting for this job is: outdoors and/or driving a vehicle.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.” ABOUT US ABOUT WM
WM (WM.com) is North America’s largest comprehensive waste management environmental solutions provider. Previously known as Waste Management and based in Houston, Texas, WM is driven by commitments to put people first and achieve success with integrity. The company, through its subsidiaries, provides collection, recycling and disposal services to millions of residential, commercial, industrial and municipal customers throughout the U.S. and Canada. With innovative infrastructure and capabilities in recycling, organics and renewable energy, WM provides environmental solutions to and collaborates with its customers in helping them achieve their sustainability goals. WM has the largest disposal network and collection fleet in North America, is the largest recycler of post-consumer materials and is the leader in beneficial reuse of landfill gas, with a growing network of renewable natural gas plants and the most gas-to-electricity plants in North America. WM’s fleet includes nearly 11,000 natural gas trucks – the largest heavy-duty natural gas truck fleet of its kind in North America – where more than half are fueled by renewable natural gas. To learn more about WM and the company’s sustainability progress and solutions, visit Sustainability.WM.com.
ABOUT THE TEAM
When you drive for WM, you join a team of the best drivers in the nation - professional, well trained, and skilled. Our drivers work hard and drive safe.
Position Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $41,000 - $60,000/year
Employer Type: Private Company
Employer Willing to Train: Yes